The SF State Nursing Master of Science program is for California registered nurses who wish to pursue advanced practice nursing education. All students engage in clinical practice experiences throughout the two year curriculum and complete a thesis or applied research culminating experience. Additional information about the program, including student learning outcomes, can be obtained in the nursing section of the SF State bulletin.
Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)
This emphasis offers students in both the Entry Level MSN and the regular MSN programs the opportunity to take courses for certification by the California State Board of Registered Nursing and/or the American Nurse Credentialing Center. The CNS is an advanced practice nurse holding a master’s degree with an emphasis in a specific area of clinical nursing such as adult, women’s health, and pediatrics. The role of the CNS is defined by the needs of a select client population and clinical expertise of the nurse.
This emphasis enables students in both the Entry Level MSN and the regular MSN programs to combine the nursing perspective and principles of business to become effective and successful managers and administrators. Elective courses can be taken through the College of Business with the advice and approval of an academic advisor.
Students completing this emphasis are prepared to assume nursing roles in a variety of care settings including public health, home health, and schools. The American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) has retired all certifications provided via portfolio review. They are only processing renewals. Effective November 2017, this included the Advanced Public Health Nursing (PHNA-BC) certification by portfolio.
RN-MSN Family Nurse Practitioner Concentration
Through advanced education and clinical training with a family emphasis, students who pursue this area of study are prepared for both California NP license and national board certification (American Academy of Nurse Practitioners & American Nurses Credentialing Center). Nurse Practitioners (NPs) are licensed to practice autonomously and in collaboration with other health care professionals to assess, diagnose, treat, and manage the health needs of patients of all ages. NPs can also serve as health care researchers, interdisciplinary consultants and patient advocates.
Prospective students applying for admission to the RN-MSN program must have the following:
- Valid California RN license
- One year RN clinical experience *
- BSN degree from a regionally accredited institution
- GPA of 3.0 or above in the last 60 semester units earned
* For RN-MSN FNP Concentration
Cal State Apply Application Period
October 1 - January 15
We strongly recommend that prospective students complete the Cal State Apply application as early as possible during the application period to allow time for all required university documentation, including a set of official transcripts, residency status information, etc., to be submitted and processed.
Submit Application and all required documents to San Francisco State University via Cal State Apply by the deadline.
Select the respective program of interest/major objective on Cal State Apply:
RN-MSN FNP concentration: "Nursing (Family Nurse Practitioner) [MS]"
RN-MSN all other emphases: "Nursing(RN-MSN) [MS]"
A personal statement, 250-500 words and must address the following:
- Describe the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Program of study you are interested in as it relates to your career goals
- Explain why you are seeking a degree from SF State
- How do you anticipate this program will assist your goals?
- What contributions do you foresee adding to the field of nursing?
- What special attributes will you bring to the nursing profession?
- A set of official transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended
- Three references (letter and reference form); at least one of these must address health-related work or volunteer experience. References must submit the reference letters themselves electronically. For more information on this process, please go here.
- Front and back copy of valid California RN License.
For details information on admission and transcript submission to San Francisco State University, please go to Division of Graduate Studies.