The Accelerated BSN Program will be held at College of San Mateo and it is a 15-month program (four semesters, including the summer session). It is offered through the College of Extended Learning at SF State and is supported by San Mateo Community College District and the CSU.
This program prepares students for entry level positions in professional nursing practice in a variety of settings including hospitals, community clinics, long term care, home care, and community health agencies. It also provides the basis for leadership and graduate education in nursing. Graduates work as staff nurses in the following areas: maternity, pediatrics, medical-surgical nursing, gerontology, psychiatric/mental health, and public/community health nursing. Students register and pay for classes via the College of Extended Learning and the cost is $700/unit.
Graduates of the program are eligible for public health nursing certification in California upon licensure as a Registered Nurse. The program also provides the basis for leadership and graduate education in nursing.
The SF State nursing major has been impacted since fall 1992 (more qualified students apply than can be accommodated in the program). We have 32 spaces per year and typically receive over 200 applications. Additional information about the program, including the curriculum plan and student learning outcomes, can be obtained in the nursing section of the SF State bulletin.
Eligibility Requirements and Prerequisite Information
- Must hold a Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution. All prospective second Baccalaureate students must be admissible to SF State in accordance with existing criteria as stated in the Graduate Admissions Requirements section of the University Bulletin.
Must be a California resident or be eligible for in-state tuition.
- Minimum Grade Point Average
Prerequisite GPA must be 3.0 or higher at the time of School of Nursing supplemental application. Please see the footnote.
- Score 78 or higher on the ATI TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) within three attempts. Online remote proctored test during pandemic is acceptable.
- Prerequisite Coursework
Must complete all prerequisite courses below from an accredited College or University by the time of application.
Must address the following questions, 200 words limit per question.
1) How does the SFSU School of Nursing mission and values align with your goals?
2) Describe your personal journey to a nursing career. This is an opportunity to describe an experience that had a meaningful impact on your decision to become a nurse.
3) What do you do when faced with stress and pressure?
4) Tell us about a time when you experienced a compassionate and caring moment with a person. This can be during your health related work/volunteer experience.
Due to COVID-19 pandemic, online courses, including lab, taken during shelter-in-place are acceptable. These courses must be C or better.
No other changes on the admission requirements. Please check each program's admission page for future updates.
|Course Title||Description||SF State Course Number|
SF State Course Number
|Human Anatomy with Lab *||Human Anatomy w/Lab; or Part 1 of a combined Anatomy & Physiology series.||BIOL 220 (4 semester units)|
|Human Physiology with Lab *||Human Physiology w/Lab; or Part 2 of a combined Anatomy & Physiology course series.||BIOL 212/ 213 (4 semester units)|
|Survey of Chemistry with Lab *||General, inorganic, organic, or integrated (any combination of general, organic, or biochemistry) chemistry courses are acceptable||CHEM 101/ 102 (4 semester units)|
|General Microbiology with Lab *||A Microbiology and corresponding laboratory course||BIOL 210/ 211 (4 semester units)|
|Written Communication **||Freshman or Sophomore Composition course; Area A2 at CA community colleges.||(Please refer to SF State Bulletin)|
|A course in public speaking, interpersonal communication. Includes skill development in listening, speech preparation, and oral presentation; Area A1 at CA community colleges.||(Please refer to SF State Bulletin)|
|Critical Thinking **||A course in logic, argumentation, or debate. This includes Advanced Composition courses which include writing reasoned discourse and providing evaluation of arguments. Area A3 at CA community colleges; ENG 3, Writing II, WR3RC or equivalent at many UCs.||(Please refer to SF State Bulletin)|
|Statistics||Statistics. Business Stats or Psych Stats are also acceptable.||Math 124 (3 semester units)|
* Science courses must be taken for a letter grade of C or better within the last seven years. Prerequisite GPA will count these four science courses along with statistics.
** Students who hold a Bachelor degree from a regionally accredited institution will be considered to have these requirements fulfilled. Prerequisite GPA will not count these courses but they are still required for admission.
Please consult Assist to determine comparable or articulated coursework taken at California community colleges or CSUs. If the course in question was taken at institutions other than California community colleges, please visit Articulation page.
Cal State Apply Application Period
We strongly recommend that prospective students complete the Cal State Apply application as early as possible during the application period to allow time for an SF State ID number to be issued and all required university documentation, including a set of official transcripts, residency status information, etc., to be submitted, received and processed.
October 15 - January 15
We recommend beginning the process and request official transcripts to be sent to NursingCAS early in the application period as late applications will not be accepted.
December 15 - January 15, 8:59 p.m. Pacific Time
Prospective students must submit both applications and the required materials by the deadline. Late application/ required materials will not be accepted:
Submit Application to San Francisco State University via Cal State Apply
Prospective students who have a previous bachelor degree must apply for second baccalaureate status through Cal State Apply. Under "Extended Profile", please choose "Undergraduate" and "Seeking a Second Bachelor's Degree." From the program listing, please select "Nursing BS." For detailed information on admission and transcript submission to San Francisco State University, please go to Division of Graduate Studies.
Step Two: Submit School of Nursing Supplemental Application via NursingCAS - (All applicants)
- Request ATI Testing to send TEAS score directly to "San Francisco State University"
- Login toNursingCASto submit a supplemental application and supporting documents:
- Official transcripts from each college or community college attended
- The following documents are optional. Please note that volunteer experience will get points only if it's more than 120 hours. Verification letters need to be on letterhead from the organization:
- Letter of verification for veteran or active duty military status.
- Letter of verification for health related work or volunteer experiences. Please use thishealth-related work letter templateorvolunteer experience template.
- Letter of verification for Service to Underserved Community or volunteer experiences. Please use thisservice to underserved community templateorunderserved community volunteer experience template.
- Letter of verification for multi-linguistic fluency within health-related or service to underserved community experiences
For NursingCAS supplemental application guidance and instructions, please visitNursingCAS Applicant Help Center.
For frequently asked questions about application cycle, including the Re-applicant feature, please visitNursingCAS Application FAQspage.