Freshman cannot be admitted to San Francisco State University as a nursing major. They instead can be admitted as Pre-Nursing students or to an alternate major. Please note:
- The Pre-Nursing designation does not guarantee admission into the nursing major.
- These students must work closely with counselors in the university Undergraduate Advising Center or the College of Health and Social Sciences Student Resource Center regarding schedule planning for prerequisite coursework. It is important for freshman to seek advisement beginning their first semester to remain on track for submitting an application to the nursing major, ideally, during the fall semester of sophomore year.
Current SF State Students
SF State students who have earned 96 or more units may not apply to an impacted major. The School of Nursing is complying with this policy. Please visit the university policy for details. We encourage students who are affected by the policy to graduate from the university under an alternate major and then apply to one of our entry level master's programs.
All prospective students must be admissible to SF State in accordance with existing criteria as stated in the “Undergraduate Admissions Requirements” section of the University Bulletin.
These documents are optional, but highly recommended. Please note that volunteer experience will get points only if it's more than 120 hours. In addition, Letter of verification needs to be on letterhead from organization(s):
- Health related work/volunteer experience
- Service to Underserved Community/volunteer experience
- Multi-linguistic fluency within health-related or service to underserved community experiences
- Veteran or active duty military status
The following requirements must be met to be eligible to apply:
Must be a California resident or be eligible for in-state tuition.
Minimum Grade Point Average
Prerequisite GPA must be 3.0 or higher at the time of School of Nursing supplemental application.
- Score 78 or higher on the TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills)
Applicants are allowed to take TEAS three times total.
All eight prerequisite courses must be completed by the time of School of Nursing supplemental application submission.
SF State Course Number
Human Anatomy with Lab **
BIOL 220 (4 semester units)
Human Physiology with Lab **
(4 semester units)
|*Survey of Chemistry with Lab **||CHEM 101/ 102 (4 semester units)|
General Microbiology with Lab **
|BIOL 210/ 211 (4 semester units)|
|Written Communication||(Please refer to SF State Bulletin)|
|Oral Communication||(Please refer to SF State Bulletin)|
|Critical Thinking||(Please refer to SF State Bulletin)|
|Statistics||Math 124 (3 semester units)|
*This is an integrated course in which topics in general, organic and biochemistry are covered. Effective Fall 2014, courses in general, inorganic, or organic chemistry are also acceptable .
**Science courses must be taken within the last seven years.
- A minimum grade of C is required in all prerequisite courses. A grade of C- is not acceptable.
- Please consult Assist to determine comparable or articulated coursework taken at California community colleges or CSUs. If the course in question was taken at institutions other than California community colleges, please go here.
- Repeating a prerequisite course is acceptable and the higher grade will be used by the School of Nursing Admissions Committee.
- Prospective students who are pursuing their first bachelor's degree and have a question about the written communication, oral communication, critical thinking or quantitative reasoning (statistics) courses should contact the SF State Student Outreach Services office. These four courses are also university-wide Transfer Admissions requirements and must be evaluated by a university pre-admissions counselor.
Courses required for RN licensure in California
While not required for admission, prospective students should be aware that the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) requires students to have completed a minimum of 16 semester units comprising natural sciences, behavioral, and social sciences. To complement the anatomy, physiology, and microbiology prerequisites, students should plan to complete a General Psychology or Developmental Psychology course prior to taking NURS 328 Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Theory and Practicum and any additional behavioral or social science course, as needed to fulfill the BRN's requirement.
Note: These courses may also satisfy GE requirements.
SF State Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR)
Second Year Composition ENG 214 or an equivalent community college course as listed on Assist is required prior to enrolling in the nursing GWAR course, NURS 312GW, offered semester one of the program. All undergraduate nursing students must complete NURS 312 GWAR.
Pre-Licensure Course Credit By Examination
Applicants for credit by examination will be held to all existing BSN program requirements, including admission requirements, prerequisite courses, supporting courses, courses in the major, and graduation requirements. Information on the awarding of course credit for previous education or other acquired knowledge, including military education and experience can be found on Nursing Student Handbook.