Prospective students must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate program:
- Master’s degree or higher in nursing
- Valid California RN license
- One year RN clinical experience
Admission into the program occurs twice per year as described below:
The Fall entry program start is specifically for:
- Students who have graduated from an SF State MSN program, excluding the Nursing Administration emphasis, within the previous five years.
- Fall classes begin mid to late August.
- Length of program: 12 months
The summer entry program start is required for prospective students who:
- Earned their master's or higher nursing degree at a school other than San Francisco State University; or
- Received a MSN degree from SF State longer than five years ago or pursued the Nursing Administration track.
- Summer classes begin in June.
- Length of program: 15 months
Cal State Apply Application Period
October 1 - February 1
We strongly recommend that prospective students complete the Cal State Apply application as early as possible during the application period to allow time for an SF State ID number to be issued and all required university documentation, including a set of official transcripts, residency status information, etc., to be submitted, received and processed.
School of Nursing Supplemental Application Period
October 15 - February 1, 8:59 p.m. Pacific Time
We recommend beginning the process early in the application period as late applications will not be accepted. Further supplemental application guidance is available on Program Materials sections of NursingCAS.
Step One: Submit Application to San Francisco State University via Cal State Apply.
- On Cal State Apply Extended Profile, under type of degrees, please select "Post-baccalaureate certificate" and select "Family Nurse Practitioner” for Program.
- The Cal State Apply application requests an essay and references. These Cal State Apply sections can be omitted as references and an essay must be submitted via the School of Nursing supplemental application.
- It is recommended that applicants complete the Cal State Apply application early in the application period. The Division of Graduate Studies will assign applicants an SF State ID# and it must subsequently be included on the School of Nursing supplemental application.
Complete details concerning this portion of the process is available on the SF State Division of Graduate Studies web site.
Step Two: School of Nursing Supplemental Application
The following supplemental application materials must be submitted via NursingCAS.
- A personal statement
- A set of unofficial transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended
- Three professional references
Further supplemental application guidance and instructions are available here.
Frequently asked questions about the supplemental application/NursingCAS, including the Re-applicant feature, are available here.